DataStation® pocket Xpress
File type: PDF-file
File type: PDF-Datei
Language: Deutsch, English, Français, Italiano, Español, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Nederlands, Hungarian, Greece, Turkey, Swedish, Ukraine, Slovenian
DataStation pocket Xpress - Montageanleitung für KIT-Version
File type: PDF-Datei
Achtung: Diese Anleitung ist nur für die KIT-Version, also einem Festplattengehäuse, das ohne ab Werk eingebaute Festplatte ausgeliefert wird! Bei einer DataStation mit einer ab Werk vorinstallierten Festplatte führt eine Öffnung des Gehäuses oder eine Beschädigung der Siegelaufkleber in der Regel zu einem Verlust der Gewährleistungsansprüche!
Can I use my USB mass storage device (MP3 player, Datastation®, USB stick) under Windows® 95 or Windows NT 4.0
I use Windows® 98 SE and my computer does not recognize my USB device.
When using Windows® 98 SE a device driver must be installed Install the necessary driver for your USB device. If Windows 98 SE is listed in the technical data under supported operating systems, then you can find the driver on this website in the Service area under Downloads
What can I do to access the media files stored on my Datastation from my PlayStation® 3?
The PlayStation® 3 expects all files to be stored in a specific directory structure.
Create the directories MUSIC, VIDEO and PICTURE in the root directory of your DataStation and copy your files in the respective folders.
NB: The PlayStation can only access external hard disks if they are formatted with the FAT32 file system. If your hard disk has been formatted with the NTFS file system, you must re-format youf hard disk. Warning: Formatting a hard disk deletes everything stored on it. Back up all data on the hard disk prior to formatting it!
Why can I not copy large files to my DataStation® pocket Xpress?
The file system FAT32 limits the maximum size of files.
This file system offers the maximum compatibility with different operating systems. Unfortunately, FAT32 is limited with respect to the maximum possible size of a file. The theoretical limit of the file size is 4 GB. In some cases, a copy process can already fail when the file size exceeds 2 GB.
When you want to store files bigger than 2 GB on your DataStation® pocket Xpress, please format it with another file system. We suggest that you use the file system NTFS when you use a Windows® operating system and HFS+ when you use a MAC®. You can find instructions on how to format your external hard drive in the operating instructions.
Caution! When formatting a hard drive, ALL data on it is deleted! You must make a back-up of all data on the hard drive before commencing to format it.
On delivery, your DataStation® pocket Xpress is formatted with the file system NTFS.
Why does my computer tell me that there is less storage space on my DataStation® pocket Xpress than the sticker on the external hard drive states?
When specifying a memory capacity, TREKSTOR, like all manufacturers of hard drives, complies with the norms set by the International System of Units (SI). This internationally accepted system defines the prefix "Giga" as 109, i.e. a Gigabyte (GB) is 1.000.000.000 Bytes. Most manufacturers of operating systems unfortunately do not comply with this norm and use the base 2 for indicating memory capacity (in professional circles, memory capacities using this base are called Gibibyte, abbreviated as GiB). 1 GiB is 230 = 1.073.741.824 Bytes. Most operating systems use the abbreviation GB even though the memory capacity displayed is in GiB. This is why a hard drive with a capacity of e.g. 500 GB is displayed by an operating system as having a capacity of only 466 GiB.
How do I format my DataStation® pocket Xpress?
Your DataStation® pocket Xpress has been preformatted with the high-performance file system NTFS. This file system is optimized for use with Microsoft® Windows® systems from Windows XP and also works great with modern Linux® operating systems.
If you use Mac® OS X it is necessary that you use a different file system. You can easily reformat your DataStation® pocket Xpress with a different file system using the "Disc Utility" of Mac OS X. You have the choice between the file system "HFS+" ("Mac OS Extended"), which is optimized for use with Mac® OS X, and the file system "FAT32", which permits the exchange of data with Windows operating systems.
Note: ALL the data on the disk will be deleted when you format it!
The Datastation can be formatted like any other hard disk in Windows.
- Under "My Computer"/"Computer", right-click on the local disk "TREKSTOR"
- Select "Format…" from the context menu that appears.
- Left-click on the "Start" button, and confirm that you want to format by clicking the "OK" button.
- Mac® OS X from 10.4
To format the Datastation in Mac OS X, please proceed as follows:
- Select "Finder" --> "Programs" --> "Utilities" and open "Disk Utility".
- Click on the Datastation to select it. It is listed under its model number.
- In the right side of the window, select "Partition".
- Use the drop-down list under "Volume Scheme" to select the number of partitionsyou want to create.
- Formatting with the file system HFS+
To format the DataStation® pocket Xpress in Mac OS X with the file format "HFS+" ("Mac OS Extended")please proceed as follows:
- Click on the button "Options" and choose either "GUID Partition Table" or"Apple Partition Table" as the partition scheme and confirm the choice byklicking on "OK".
- Use the drop-down list to determine the file system for the hard disk/partition tobe formatted, and enter the name in the provided field.
- To start the formatting of the Datastation, click on the "Apply" button and confirm this by clicking on "Partition", in the window that appears.
- Formatting with the file system FAT32
- The file system "FAT32" offers the maximum compatibility with different operatingsystems. Unfortunately, it is limited with respect to the maximum possible size of a file(max. 4 GB). To format the Datastation using Mac® OS X with the file system "FAT32"please proceed as follows:
- Click on the button "Options" and choose "Master Boot Record" as the partitionscheme and confirm the selection by klicking on "OK".
- Use the drop-down list to select the file system "MS-DOS"/"MS-DOS (FAT)" for the hard disk/partition to be formatted, and enter the name in the provided field.
- Please wait until the formatting of your Datastation has been completed.Please note that formatting under Mac® OS X 10.4.x takes a long time.
- To start the formatting of the DataStation® pocket Xpress, click on the "Apply" button and confirmthis by clicking on "Partition", in the window that appears.
Driver Installation for 2.5“ Pocket Drives:
1. Open the Disk Management by right clicking the Desktop/Computer icon in the Start menu. (In Windows XP, the Computer symbol may be located on the desktop) Select the menu item ‘Manage’ and open the Device Manager in the appearing menu. Make sure that all entries are displayed in the Device Manager.
2. Please disconnect all other USB devices from the PC. Connect the two connectors of the Y USB cable to two USB ports available on your PC. Then connect the Datastation® pocket via the USB cable. If the system detects the drive, the entries in the Device Manager will be rearranged. The drive will now be displayed in ‘Other Devices/Components’ or in ‘USB Controllers’.
3. If the entry appears in ‘Other Devices/Other Components’, right click the entry and then click on ‘Uninstall/Remove’. The driver will be deleted from the Device Manager. If the entry has disappeared, disconnect the Datastation pocket from the USB cable and reboot the computer.
4. After rebooting, reconnect the Datastation pocket with the USB cable. The driver should now have installed correctly and the systems should have assigned a drive letter to the drive. If the entry is displayed in USB Controllers, please proceed as described above.