DataStation® pocket light
File type: PDF-file
File type: PDF-Datei
Language: Deutsch, English, Français, Italiano, Español, Polish, Swedish
Can I use my USB mass storage device (MP3 player, Datastation®, USB stick) under Windows® 95 or Windows NT 4.0
I use Windows® 98 SE and my computer does not recognize my USB device.
When using Windows® 98 SE a device driver must be installed Install the necessary driver for your USB device. If Windows 98 SE is listed in the technical data under supported operating systems, then you can find the driver on this website in the Service area under Downloads
What can I do to access the media files stored on my Datastation from my PlayStation® 3?
The PlayStation® 3 expects all files to be stored in a specific directory structure.
Create the directories MUSIC, VIDEO and PICTURE in the root directory of your DataStation and copy your files in the respective folders.
NB: The PlayStation can only access external hard disks if they are formatted with the FAT32 file system. If your hard disk has been formatted with the NTFS file system, you must re-format youf hard disk. Warning: Formatting a hard disk deletes everything stored on it. Back up all data on the hard disk prior to formatting it!
Why can I not copy large files to my DataStation® pocket light?
The file system FAT32 limits the maximum size of files.
This file system offers the maximum compatibility with different operating systems. Unfortunately, FAT32 is limited with respect to the maximum possible size of a file. The theoretical limit of the file size is 4 GB. In some cases, a copy process can already fail when the file size exceeds 2 GB.
When you want to store files bigger than 2 GB on your DataStation® pocket light, please format it with another file system. We suggest that you use the file system NTFS when you use a Windows® operating system and HFS+ when you use a MAC®. You can find instructions on how to format your external hard drive in the operating instructions.
Caution! When formatting a hard drive, ALL data on it is deleted! You must make a back-up of all data on the hard drive before commencing to format it.
On delivery, your DataStation® pocket light is formatted with the file system NTFS.
Why does my computer tell me that there is less storage space on my DataStation® pocket light than the sticker on the external hard drive states?
When specifying a memory capacity, TREKSTOR, like all manufacturers of hard drives, complies with the norms set by the International System of Units (SI). This internationally accepted system defines the prefix "Giga" as 109, i.e. a Gigabyte (GB) is 1.000.000.000 Bytes. Most manufacturers of operating systems unfortunately do not comply with this norm and use the base 2 for indicating memory capacity (in professional circles, memory capacities using this base are called Gibibyte, abbreviated as GiB). 1 GiB is 230 = 1.073.741.824 Bytes. Most operating systems use the abbreviation GB even though the memory capacity displayed is in GiB. This is why a hard drive with a capacity of e.g. 500 GB is displayed by an operating system as having a capacity of only 466 GiB.
How do I format my DataStation® pocket light?
Your DataStation® pocket light has been preformatted with the high-performance file system NTFS. This file system is optimized for use with Microsoft® Windows® systems from Windows XP and also works great with modern Linux® operating systems.
If you use Mac® OS X it is necessary that you use a different file system. You can easily reformat your DataStation® pocket light with a different file system using the "Disc Utility" of Mac OS X. You have the choice between the file system "HFS+" ("Mac OS Extended"), which is optimized for use with Mac® OS X, and the file system "FAT32", which permits the exchange of data with Windows operating systems.
Note: ALL the data on the disk will be deleted when you format it!
The Datastation can be formatted like any other hard disk in Windows.
- Under "My Computer"/"Computer", right-click on the local disk "TREKSTOR"
- Select "Format…" from the context menu that appears.
- Left-click on the "Start" button, and confirm that you want to format by clicking the "OK" button.
- Mac® OS X from 10.4
To format the Datastation in Mac OS X, please proceed as follows:
- Select "Finder" --> "Programs" --> "Utilities" and open "Disk Utility".
- Click on the Datastation to select it. It is listed under its model number.
- In the right side of the window, select "Partition".
- Use the drop-down list under "Volume Scheme" to select the number of partitionsyou want to create.
- Formatting with the file system HFS+
To format the DataStation® pocket light in Mac OS X with the file format "HFS+" ("Mac OS Extended")please proceed as follows:
- Click on the button "Options" and choose either "GUID Partition Table" or"Apple Partition Table" as the partition scheme and confirm the choice byklicking on "OK".
- Use the drop-down list to determine the file system for the hard disk/partition tobe formatted, and enter the name in the provided field.
- To start the formatting of the Datastation, click on the "Apply" button and confirm this by clicking on "Partition", in the window that appears.
- Formatting with the file system FAT32
- The file system "FAT32" offers the maximum compatibility with different operatingsystems. Unfortunately, it is limited with respect to the maximum possible size of a file(max. 4 GB). To format the Datastation using Mac® OS X with the file system "FAT32"please proceed as follows:
- Click on the button "Options" and choose "Master Boot Record" as the partitionscheme and confirm the selection by klicking on "OK".
- Use the drop-down list to select the file system "MS-DOS"/"MS-DOS (FAT)" for the hard disk/partition to be formatted, and enter the name in the provided field.
- Please wait until the formatting of your Datastation has been completed.Please note that formatting under Mac® OS X 10.4.x takes a long time.
- To start the formatting of the DataStation® pocket light, click on the "Apply" button and confirmthis by clicking on "Partition", in the window that appears.
Why is my DataStation® pocket light not displayed in the computer settings?
DataStation® pocket light was not initialized/partitioned:
Initialize and partition your drive to display it on the computer by following the instructions below:
Windows® 7/ Vista®/ XP
1. Connect the DataStation® pocket light to your computer via the supplied USB cable, and if necessary to the electric circuit.
Please note that it is required to sign in as an administrator to perform the following steps!
2. Open the Disk Management by right clicking the Desktop/Computer icon in the start menu. (In Windows XP, the Computer symbol may be located on the desktop) Select the menu item ‘Manage’. In the left menu under Volume, click on Disk Management.
3. You can also open the Disk Management by entering ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the input field of the start menu. After inputting, open the displayed application.
4. The bottom part shows a graphical representation of the drives connected to your computer (CD1, CD2, HDD, Card reader…)
5. If you are not sure which of the indicated drives refers to your external hard drive, please perform the described steps with the Datastation not connected in order to compare which entry is removed or added. This entry corresponds to your Datastation. If a wizard opens automatically, the drive was not initialized. Follow the instructions and select ‘MBR’ as partition type. After completing, the drive is initialized and it can be partitioned and formatted.
6. Right click the graphic that is now displayed with a black bar representing your TREKSTOR drive. Select the menu item New Partition in the appearing menu. A wizard to create new partitions is opened. Click Continue.
Select a primary partition and click Continue. You are now prompted to enter a new size for the drive. Click Continue. The next screen can be accepted without changes. Click Continue. You are now prompted to format the newly created partition. Check the Perform Quick Format/Quickformat box and click Continue and then Complete. As soon as a letter and a file system are available for your created drive, the DataStation® pocket light is operational.
How do I install the driver for my 3.5" maxi Hard Drive?
1. Open Computer Management by right-clicking the My Computer icon in the Start menu (In Windows XP you can also find the My Computer icon on the Desktop). Select the menu item Manage. Open the Device Manager. Make sure that all entries in the Device Manager are visible.
2. Please disconnect all other USB devices from the PC. Now switch on the Datastation® maxi. If the system detects the drive, the entries in the Device Manager will be rebuilt. The drive can now be seen under Other Devices/Other Components or under USB Controllers.
3. If the entry appears under Other Devices/Other Components, right-click on it and then select Uninstall/Remove. The driver will be removed from the Device Manager. When the entry disappears, switch off the Datastation maxi and restart the computer.
4. After your computer has restarted, turn on the Datastation maxi again. Now the driver should be installed correctly. You can tell this from the fact that the Datastation is displayed as a drive under Computer in Windows Explorer. If the entry appears under USB Controllers, please proceed as described above.